The Powerline Technician/Power System Electrician Program is a twelve-week extensive hands-on and theoretical training program in the utility electrical field related to overhead and underground distribution installations.
Skilled tradespeople are in high demand in Canada. As a Powerline Technician/Power System Electrician you play a vital role in ensuring the reliable delivery of electricity to homes and businesses across the country. It is an essential and valued occupation with excellent starting wages and an impressive list of future employers. The Pre-Employment Powerline Technician program covers all material in the 1st year Powerline Technician Apprenticeship Exam curriculum, plus additional safety training, and employability skills.
Upon successful completion of The Pre-Employment Powerline Technician Installer program, you will:
- be prepared to write the First Year Apprenticeship examination.
- be prepared to be employed within the powerline technician industry in Alberta.
- have obtained a variety of safety certificates (Standard 1st Aid/CPR Level A, Confined Space, WHMIS, Fire Safety, Fall Protection, H2S Alive, Ground Disturbance, CSTS).
- have learned valuable employability skills including cover letter and resume writing, and interview skills.
- obtain a Letter of Recognition.
High School Diploma, Applied Math 20, Valid driver’s license (class 3 is preferred and required to gain employment in the field).
Please contact Industrial and Technical Training at (403) 320-3202 ext. 5770 prior to registering to ensure all pre-requisites have been met.
Participants are required to submit a resume and go through an interview process.
Course fees do not included textbooks (approx. 125.00), apprenticeship exam fee ($150.00 theory, $145.00 practical), or work gear (approx. $2,500).
Students in pre-employment programs can now apply for loans and grants through Student Aid Alberta.
This program takes place at the Agriculture & Trades Training Facility (former Animal Husbandry Building) 211034- Hwy 512 on the jail road.